Thursday, June 8, 2017

My First Reading in Public

It happened on Saturday, June 2, 2017 in the back room of a charming little cafe in New Westminster, under the leadership of the fantastic RCLAS organizers.

The room was small but packed with audience, and there was even a raised stage and a mike.



Image provided courtesy of The Royal City Literary Arts Society



My stage-fright was short-lived. I was second up, and before I knew it my voice was booming from the speakers reading the first lines of My Burka Girl, followed by chuckling (at the funny parts of the story), gasps (at the surprising points), and the final applause from the supportive audience.

There were awards, cameras taking photos, and warm congratulations from literary brothers and sisters.

Then I relaxed and listened to the beautifully read stories and poems by all the winners of the RCLAS Write On! competition.

It was an elating and heartwarming experience at the same time. I was thrilled to meet several of my writer friends, and to make new ones. I was even blessed to have a dear art friend show up to cheer me on. How fun is that!

RCLAS is a vibrant organization for writers and lovers of literary arts and I warmly recommend joining it as a member, or attending some of their many great events.

It was a real treat to read all the winning stories and poems in the issue 46 of the RCLAS e-zine!



Image provided courtesy of The Royal City Literary Arts Society



Reading in public? Piece of cake!

Tatjana